Tuesday, November 15, 2016

Maximalist Circle-Inspired Improv

Wow. That post title is a mouthful, isn't it? But it's exactly what Leanne/she can quilt asked for this month in Bee Sewcial. The guidelines were very loose, which is pretty typical for this bee. The one requirement was the maximalist use of color.

I started in with a vague notion of where I was headed, which never really means much when it comes to improv. It started with a circle, and a quarter-circle, where I added layer upon layer, totally mixing up those brilliant colors.


Eventually, it was time to try the big experiment - inserting the quarter-circle into the whole. Oh so carefully, I hera-marked, rotary-cut, pinned, stitched, and pressed. Whew. 


I did need to even out the 'circle' a bit by adding another layer or two. Finishing with a diameter of about 20", I'm thinking it'll pass the 'approximately 12.5"x24.5" but not necessarily a rectangle' block requirement.

Meanwhile, folks on Instagram are clamoring for a tutorial of sorts for the layered circle technique, so I'll work on that, so stay tuned.

18 comments:

  1. I too am clamoring. As usual, an interesting and beautiful piece.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Debbie - this is so cool! I can't wait to see what Leanne does with all these blocks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! So many good things going on with this piece, especially the color combo.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks like a beautiful interprtation of a rose. I really like how the quarter circle insert interacts with the whole piece.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that you inserted the wedge in there. I am sure that was not easy. I have a whirlpool type improv piece, similar, that I started a while ago but not sure if it is done or not. I framed it out to a rectangle and that is the part I am not sure I like. Can't wait to see what your bee does with it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. your brain is a precious commodity! Sensational!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That would make a fabulous tutorial....it's amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very cool! I will have to try something like this.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are amazing! You must never sleep! Love, love, love this block and cannot wait for your tutorial!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't Instagram but I would like to see how this type of circle goes together...I know I would have cheated and appliqued that triangle on.lol

    ReplyDelete
  11. Following on Instagram as well. I would love a tutorial or another challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! I can see why folks are asking for a tutorial. I'm intrigued!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very cool. The quarter circle really makes it.

    ReplyDelete