Friday, May 29, 2015

Bee Sewcial Goes Mid-Century

Simply put, Bee Sewcial is always a challenge. In a good way, but still. Even thinking up a plan for these amazing women is a bit intimidating. But I've decided. For June, we're going mid-century modern.

"Mid-Century modern is an architectural, interior, product and graphic design that generally describes mid-20th century developments in modern design, architecture and urban development from roughly 1933 to 1965. The term, employed as a style descriptor as early as the mid-1950s, was reaffirmed in 1983 by Cara Greenberg in the title of her book, Mid-Century Modern: Furniture of the 1950s (Random House), celebrating the style that is now recognized by scholars and museums worldwide as a significant design movement." 
-  from Wikipedia
I made the group a Pinterest inspiration board, which includes the color palette. I tried to get permission to share this pin, but that didn't happen, so basically, think Kona curry, yarrow, medium gray, titanium, jade, black, palm, laurel, siena, windsor, navy, chocolate, coffee, spice, cinnamon, rust. Remember, this is an all-solids bee.


Unlike other bees I've been in, block size doesn't usually matter. Derived inspiration does. So no specific block sizes or shapes are required for my month. I'm asking for them to just stick with the standard equivalent of (2) 12.5" blocks.


So I made a couple of sample blocks. Honestly, some bee members like inspiration blocks, other do not. So either way, all I'm really asking is that they borrow elements from typical mid-century modern graphics. My blocks are relatively structured, I admit, so it'll be interesting to see where my bee-mates go. I plan to make more, but I think I'd prefer to make them along the way. I fully expect that the work of my bee mates will inspire me too.

8 comments:

  1. very cool. it will be fun to see where this goes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This will be fun, I love mid-century modern.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You picked a great inspiration and color palette. Looking forward to seeing the result

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love mid-century modern and your color palette!! I can't wait to see what everyone makes :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the palette and direction we are going for June. I totally agree that Bee Sewcial is hard - in a good way - and look forward to seeing what everyone comes up with. I've already changed my mind on what to do as queen in July.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your color combinations and the blocks are WAY COOL!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fun to see a palette so distinct as yours, and those blocks are so interesting to look at. I have a feeling you'll never get tired of the quilt you make from this bee!

    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've asked my son, a MSM fan, for his input and advise. But I think I know where I'm going with this one. Fun.

    ReplyDelete