Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Those Scraps

Scraps were a big part of the action in the studio last weekend, which was quite fun and timed well, don't you think, since today is link-up day for Scraptastic Tuesday. First were my improv blocks for Faith Circle. We were asked to "think modular and send an equivalent amount of blocks" to equal 2-12" blocks. Half or less were to be low-volume, and half or less were to be scrappy brights. You can see what I was in the mood for!
Come Wednesday at our guild meeting, we're having a Valentine postcard swap. Louise/I'm Feelin' Crafty did a nice tutorial on Quilted Postcards, which was also timely, and even though I'm not going to show them off in their entirety quite yet, trust me, they are scrappy!
I also got a few more Inside Addition blocks cut out, but I've discovered that as much as I like the concept of leaders/enders, I just don't do it. So I've got a nice stack of blocks ready to go when I'm in the mood.

I've also discovered that even though you actively use your scraps, the amount really doesn't decrease if you are doing other sewing too. Even grandgirl noticed the other day, "Grammy, you've got some new ones in here" as she was rummaging through the scrap basket. Hmm. That could be a problem.

Linking up with Scraptastic Tuesday.

8 comments:

  1. Love the LV scrap blocks and want to see more of those post cards! Yes I agree on the futile-ness of scrap busting but I think I would drown in scraps if I didn't at least try! Thanks for joining us at #scraptastictuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not a problem! Take the oldest most unloved ones and send them to another state.Then you have more room for new ones. May I greedi suggest south Louisiana. Have you seen the traditional Mardi Gras costumes. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm usually drawn to brights myself, but I love your low-volume blocks. They remind me of a display I saw last week at Seattle Rep -- yellowed sheets of paper glued in an overlapping fashion, hung in the window so the light came through. Really nice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the low volume blocks. I finished off the last blocks for my brother's quilt today from my scraps and noticed the same thing -- you can't even tell that I made a 60" x 72" quilt from the small box of fabric. If I can make a quilt without noticing a significant decrease in fabric then I have enough fabric for TONS of quilts. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like both your bright block and the low volume ones. What a fun mix they will be. Hope we get to see the finish!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Terrific looking bee blocks, there, Debbie. I'm like you on the Leaders/Enders thing. I really think I ought to be doing this, but in reality, I don't. So I guess I'm ready for some scrappy time in the sewing room, too! Can't wait to meet you next week!
    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  7. Busted Grammy ;o) But what you've used them for this week looks grand :o)

    ReplyDelete