Thursday, February 21, 2013

Really Random

There's been peeps on Instagram that many of our cohorts are arriving at QuiltCon. I'm anxiously awaiting news of any kind, fondly remembering the fun I had at Sewing Summit. I can't say I'm jealous really (well maybe just a teeny bit), but am very curious - can't wait to hear about the quilt show so many of the quilts we know and love are in, the classes, the experience of meeting folks only known online before. I know it's bound to be a fantastic weekend!

Meanwhile, I hope I didn't offend Cathy, who approached me before church last night and told me she follows my blog! Without thinking (oops!) I called her a lurker - someone who reads all the time but never comments. Shame on me. I totally appreciate anyone and everyone who reads A Quilter's Table, even though for obvious reasons, comments are always fun to have. Anyway, believe it or not, though she isn't on flickr to realize all that goes on there, she participated in the Triple-Zip Along, and made two triple-zip pouches! AND she happened to have a quilt she'd made in the car and brought it in to show me. Sorry I wasn't tall enough to get a pic to do it justice, but it was just beautiful! Made entirely of Kaffe Fassett prints and backed in minky, it really was stunning! Janeen noticed the quilt and came over, and the three of us (hi girls!) had an enjoyable conversation about quilts, crafting, blogging . . . just a nice unexpected treat in my day.

Lee over at Freshly Pieced mentioned a product the other day that I've just discovered, and that would be Creative Grids. My friend Sharon gave me one while we were on retreat earlier in the month, and I have to say, it works really well! From the website, "Our exclusive gripper holds the fabric while cutting when pressure is applied." And I found it to be true. I'll be replacing a couple of my worn rulers soon! I'm also interested in checking out their fussy cut rulers.
photo courtesy of Creative Grids

And even though they will make a reappearance in a few days, I've got to show off the bee blocks I just finished!
They are for Kelli of Small Town Stitcher. This is her choice for this month in That Stash Bee. And I honestly don't know why but I used my seam ripper so much in the making of these two blocks!! It must be the angles of the design, but I just kept getting the angles wrong, mis-estimating the fabric size I needed, etc. But they are lovely, and I can only imagine what a great quilt Kelli is going to make!

Speaking of bees, my turn is coming up in one, and I'm considering a low-volume quilt. I have an idea in mind, but I would sure love if you shared some of your favorite low-volume quilts. Either ones you have made, or ones you've seen around blog land - please do share and give me ideas! I need to make a decision in the next few days!

Have a great day!

Linking up with Really Random Thursday.

30 comments:

  1. Hi there! I just popped over from Live A Colorful Life for really random Thursday. Somehow I am just finding this linky party. I just wanted to say I totally do the same thing. Say stuff like that and then realize the person might not have known I was teasing. I'm sure you didn't offend her :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You probably didn't offend Cathy. Quilters are quite a forgiving bunch I think. :) Her quilt is absolutely gorgeous. I love those shades.

    Slipping rulers drive me nuts. May need to check out the creative grids.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The braided quilt is beautiful--love the colors. And your blocks are very cool. Creative Grids rules are my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Traditionally, there are 10 lurkers for every poster on a forum. I'd expect that the number for a blog is even more.

    I comment a lot, but I also lurk a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the blocks! There's a low volume group on Flickr you should check out, if you haven't already. I made one (it's in the group) from scraps, and would love to make another. They're so aesthetically pleasing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just found the Creatve rulers and asked for them at Christmas! Love, love love them!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your friends' quilt is beautiful (love K. Fassett anything), and those bee blocks are going to make an amazing quilt when sewn together.
    I made my low volume with the log cabin block. They can be pieced with a variety of strip widths, even a little wonky, as long as you square them up to the same size. It was very freeing to piece them that way.
    Have fun deciding!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your bee blocks. March is my month for my Mo Stash hive, and I'm thinking red, white and blue stars.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I totally enjoy the word "lurk" -- it just fits when no other word does. Thanks for the smile. And I'm sure Cathy's not offended!

    ReplyDelete
  10. how lovely to meet up with someone from blogland in real life :) nearly all my rules ae Creative Grids rulers, they are fantastic

    ReplyDelete
  11. I couldn't survive without my Creative Grids - especially the 12.5" squaring up ruler. They are great and very safe!The KF quilt is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  12. How cool to meet a blog reader at church! I would probably have done the same thing, then worried about it all night! I'm sure she wasn't offended, especially if she showed you her quilt! I'm anxious to see the response you get about the LV quilts. I want to do a LV background on one, but seem to have a mental block on choosing appropriate prints! Oh, and your blocks for Kelli look awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. All but one of my 'regular' rulers is CG, and I love them so much that when I was over there for SS, I bought some stick on grippy bits for my 'non-standard' rulers (triangles, hexies, DPs and the like)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lurker sounds kind of bad outside the blog world, but if she was confused, I'm here to chime in that it's an extremely common term for following without commenting -- nothing bad!

    The KF quilt is beautiful. And I'm so shocked to find so many quilters who don't know about the CG rulers. When I took my beginner class I brought the Omnigrid I bought at Joann, and the teacher said we have a big collection of Omnigrids because people leave them here after they discover the CG rulers we sell. I haven't abandoned all mine yet, but I have given a couple away, and I've replaced all but one!

    ReplyDelete
  15. love the blocks, and that quilt is so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Cathy here...Not lurking any longer and totally not offended! I mailed the quilt you posted to my dear aunt who is ailing. Hope she feels the love when she gets this.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Debbie, I always appreciate your "random" posts. Keep them coming!
    And thanks for the heads up with the bee block. I've still got to get them done!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Debbie, I always appreciate your "random" posts. Keep them coming!
    And thanks for the heads up with the bee block. I've still got to get them done!

    ReplyDelete
  19. The braided quilt is lovely. She was brave one using mainly on the backside. We had a quilt shop owner who came to one of our Charlotte Modern Quilt Gild meetings. She gave each of us a Creative Grids ruler. It is wonderful. I would like to replace several,of my rulers.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Creative Grids rulers are excellent. I am working at replacing my older ones. The non-slip feature is excellent, but I also find the white and black markings make it much easier for me to see the cutting lines on any type of fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Rita, from Red Pepper quilts posted pics today of a low volume quilt that is gorgeous. Here's the link:
    http://www.redpepperquilts.com/2013/02/the-week-in-stitches.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+RedPepperQuilts+%28Red+Pepper+Quilts%29&utm_content=Google+Reader
    Here's mine:
    http://lollyquiltz.blogspot.com/2012/10/ice-cream-bars.html
    Your braid quilt is so pretty. I'm waiting to hear some news from Austin as well!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I don't know what a low volume quilt is...a vert simple quilt? Dark colored quilt? I love the quilt over at Takes of Ineptitude! Basic, red and Grey, she's making for her grandfather....very simple! You have to go back to 2012 posts to see the full quilt, but it's a very unique placement of very simple blocks (just a square with a triangle corner if a different color).
    Oh, and I am guilty if lurking in lots of places! I usually comment once in a while though!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Such a pretty quilt, and the bee blocks look challenging. Nice job. Looking forward to making you a low volume block Debbie. I made one from the book Sunday Morning : )

    ReplyDelete
  24. I always read your posts Debbie, but sometimes don't have the time to comment...sorry! I look forward to a low volume bee block, if you can find inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I can appreciate how you felt when that woman told you she reads your blog, but you didn't know it. I feel certain that at least half of my blog-readers never comment, and it's likely one of the reasons my two siblings never call me. They know what I'm doing because they lurk, and don't feel the need to be in touch. Very upsetting. But I'm glad this woman told you so, and had some of your things to share with you. About the low-volume quilt. I made a double wedding ring one about seven years ago. It was all beige and whit neutral prints. Very tedious to work with, but very effective when quilted. I did some trapunto on it.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Call me a sometimes lurker, lol. Don't always have time to comment but I always enjoy your posts! Love those colorful bee blocks, and that sounds like a ruler to definitely check out.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Cathy's quilt is gorgeous - so great that you got to share it with us! I love Creative Grids rulers and have several of them, those grippy dots really make a difference. I had not heard about those fussy cut ones though - thanks for mentioning them, now I have something to look for at the next quilt show (as if that was ever a problem...)

    ReplyDelete