Thursday, April 26, 2012

Zakka Along Week 4 :: Sewing Kit

One of the fun things about participating in the Zakka Sew Along is seeing everyone's take on the projects. This week's project was a little travel sewing kit and coordinating pin cushion by Minori Design. Since I stamped on fabric during week three, I wanted to try something different this week. And then I remembered the little pack of Aurifil I'd won in Quilter in the Gap's 1st quarter Finish-A-Long linky. It was a variety pack, and that blue and black variegated on the right is a 12 wt cotton suitable for machine quilting on linen. Perfect.
So I cut into my Stone Quilter's Linen and FMF seeds, and partnered them with some royal blue shot cotton to add some contrast. I went for a fairly tailored look, adding some organic straight-line quilting on two edges of the front.
Zakka Style Sewing Kit
I used the variegated thread wherever stitching would show - inside and out, including trim on the pincushion. (Just fyi, I did change out my needle to a 90/14 quilting needle. Things felt a little tight as I threaded the machine, but I adjusted the tension a tad, and sewing went just fine.)
Zakka Style Sewing Kit
Though I had some leather thongs ready to go, mid-stream I decided to make some fabric ties. So I cut more strips the same width as the pocket binding (1"), which was a little fussy to work with, but gave a nice result. (I did see some discussion on the flickr page that some thought the 1" measurement was a typo. So you might check in there if you haven't started, though it worked for me as written.)

All in all, the sewing kit was very fun, and I love the simplistic look the stitching gives it.
Zakka Style Sewing Kit

Linking up with LRstitchedTNT Thursday, finish it up Friday, and {sew} Modern Monday.

30 comments:

  1. Love, love, love your sewing kit Debbie! I've seen quite a few others from the sew a long and this is my favoutite :-)
    I'm still waiting for my book to be delivered :-) can't wait to sew a long too

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so cool, Debbie! I love the tailored look the stitching gives it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks great! Love your choice for the stitching and linen!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad you posted about the Aurifil thread because I have been dying to get some. It looks fantastic on the linen! Those colors are right up my alley. I love working with the shot cottons, the colors are so pretty. What a great finish!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Utterly gorgeous!! Love the variegated thread :)
    The fabrics are scrumptious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The thread is a perfect match for this project. Now remind me, a 12wt is a thicker thread, right? I get so confused by those numbers. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. i love the look of that variegated thread! lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am always in awe of everything you create! Once again, this is extra special! Deborah

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is gorgeous!! I really have to start spending a little time just making small things that please me :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awesome! Love your color, fabric and thread choices.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the stitching, what a fantastic touch, so simple yet strikingly modern.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oooh, cool. That's given me an idea to finally use my winning thread, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my! That is SO lovely!! The stitching is perfect! Your seeing kit is sophisticated and stylish!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, it's absolutely gorgeous! So simple, yet stylish.

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's lovely, I really like the blue.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love, love, love it!
    I was going to skip this project, but yours makes me want to make one, darn it!
    Love the gray FMF seeds. I just ordered some today -- happy day!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Absolutely beautiful Debbie - love the FMF seeds fabric on the inside!

    ReplyDelete
  18. You do such meticulous work Debbie. It's beautiful.
    I love the little "kitty" poking his head out of the scissors?

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your top stitching is STUNNING.

    Love how your sewing kit turned out. Very inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Beautiful and sophisticated! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love the sewing kit!! So beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Very lovely, and that thread adds so much. Great idea!!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Debbie it's absolutely gorgeous, what a beautiful combination.

    ReplyDelete
  24. wow, now I can't wait to try the 12 wt variegated thread. It looks awesome on the gray fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  25. How did I miss this?!? It's so cute! I love the linen and the thread is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  26. So pretty in gray and blue! Sweet and simple makes it. Very nice quilting...the variegated thread looks great on the gray quilter's linen.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Your kit looks fantastic. I love the gray linen with the blue stitching. I just put in my first order for Aurifil thread today - I keep reading about it so I'm excited to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete