Monday, August 22, 2011

A Summer Sampler

Little did I know when I chose sunny, citrus colors for my Summer Sampler that this little bit of summer would be so deeply appreciated. Honestly, I've found more summer in the making of this quilt than in the weather outside my home.
After piecing the backs of my last few quilts, I decided to finish this one with a simple lime-and-white dot. That and a KONA Chartreuse binding complete the summery look.
Overall, this quilt was a bit of a challenge. I had done very little paper-piecing before, so for most of the blocks to have at least some paper-piecing required some serious determination. This is also just the second quilt I have done totally in solids, so I was always second-guessing my color placement. And, my blocks didn't all finish at the same size, so I worried about that for a while. But framing them in white and then trimming them turned out to be a perfect solution. I debated over colored cornerstones, and again over adding a border, but I really like how the blocks seem to 'float' on the white background. All in all, a very fun summer quilt-along.

Linking up with {Sew} Modern Monday . . .
{Sew} Modern Monday at Canoe Ridge Creations

17 comments:

  1. Oh Debbie, it's just beautiful. It doesn't LOOK like it was a challenge! You came up with the perfect solution for the different-sized blocks. Great job, I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a happy quilt! Love the binding too. Your piecing looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is beautiful and I love how it is quilted too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is beautiful Debbie! Great job, and I love your binding fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Debbie, it looks awesome! I agree, it is nice to take a break from piecing the back sometimes. I love your photo collage!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I absolutely love the quilt! Makes me want to make one :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful! I love that you used solids, it is so fun and bright!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love how you have quilted your own summer. The quilt looks wonderful - congratulations on the finish. Love the quilting. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is beautiful!! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Debbie, your quilt is gorgeous! Great job on the piecing and quilting!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think your colour placement looks great! That's a sharp-looking, happy quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is a truly amazing quilt! Perfect for bringing a little sunshine into a NW life! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is fantastic, Debbie! I love the way you quilted it. I'd never know you struggled with it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is so lovely. You really did a great job. And I had the same plan for a few Skill Builder blocks that didn't quite make it to 12.5" so I'm glad to see that it worked!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Fabulous quilt! I love how you did the sampler in solids! Thanks for linking up to {Sew} Modern Monday and have a great weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete